V4 Superchargers, add 350kW to the table

Although an eGMP car has to convert the voltage it’s definitely not limited to only 46 kW. If it uses a V2 SuC it charges at about 95 kW. If it charges at a V3 SuC it only charges at about 45 kW. Therefore a communication problem is highly likely.

I think maximum-ish Wattage is the way to go for us here rather than voltage. At least at moment.

Yeah the onboard convertors for 800 volts don’t work well with teslas current superchargers. Potentially the fully functional v4 can do 1000 volts but we are not there yet.

Denoting stall type (v3 vs v4) will likely imply voltage

Fair point about 46 / 95 kW, but the real matter here is that both charge speeds are very low.
The current 120 / 150 / 250 kW filter on the website is useless for 800v car drivers.

In the news, see below, the more reason to start indicating what type of stalls are installed, V3 or V4.

the project that was applied for by Tesla Italy, which was awarded €133,780,000, has the following description:

“The project aims at deploying 6,458 recharging points (250 kW) for LDV in 613 locations in 16 countries (AT, BE, BG, DE, ES, FI, FR, IE, IT, LV, LT, LU, NL, RO, SK, SE) along the Core and Comprehensive Network. The project foresees both the deployment of new recharging stations and the replacement of existing outdated recharging points not satisfying the requirement of the call in terms of recharging capacity and open-accessibility”

Judging by that description, Tesla seems to be eager to upgrade old Superchargers to new equipment, presumably the V4, which launched earlier this year on the continent.

The project Tesla Poland applied for was awarded €14,940,000, and plans for the deployment of new Supercharger equipment in six countries:

“The project aims to deploy 740 recharging points (250 kW) for LDV in 74 locations in 6 countries (CZ, EL, HR, HU, PL, SI) along the Core and Comprehensive Network. The project foresees both the deployment of new recharging stations and the replacement of existing outdated recharging points not satisfying the requirement of the call in terms of recharging capacity and open-accessibility.”

The language used in the descriptions of these projects hints toward the replacement of old Supercharger stalls with the V4 based on the use of the term “open-accessibility.” The new V4 Supercharger was designed by Tesla to charge any EV and even includes a longer charging cable to enable more accessibility for non-Tesla EVs.

Tesla has also enabled other features in its European Superchargers. Recently, we showed the first V4 stall in the United Kingdom, which was also the first to equip contactless payment.

There has been some confusion on what to call the sites currently being installed with V4 stall hardware. So far, the installations have been V3 cabinets, same as existing V3 sites, and new stall hardware (which will eventually be the style of V4 sites, presumably). Notably these sites still charge with the same characteristics as V3 sites - at a maximum of 250 kW.

From the notes above, presumably the intention is (at some point) to start installing this stall hardware with new cabinets, capable of outputting 350 kW to each stall.

To differentiate these, I suggest calling the sites:

• V3/V4 hybrid
  • V4

Thoughts?

We definitely need to come up with a term. Part of me thinks people won’t adopt such a term unless its short and easy to refer to, even if its maybe not as accurate. It’s not a great description, but I think V3.5 is the most likely to gain adoption, because it lives between the two.

This is similar to how before Model 3s were being delivered with the FSD computer everyone referred to those cars as HW2.5, as they had HW3 sensors and cameras, but not yet the the HW3/FSD computer.

Maybe this is something we could run as a poll on our Twitter/X account.

1 Like

At the moment we don’t state stall type V2, V3, etc anywhere. It is implied with the power.
I think we should have 2 fields one for stall type and another for power output. That will cover all the possibilities,

2 Likes

V3.5 is also a good option, I was a bit lost as to where this was most recently being discussed :slight_smile:

Fully support the suggestion for a new field like “stall type”.

Although a list with V1, V2, V3 and V4 (3.5?) is not complete.

How about the other types like 72kW chargers and mobile superchargers various types.

1 Like