V2 vs V3 NACS naming across the map

I’m not sure exactly how to phrase this, but I was thinking about how the broader site names are done across the supercharge.info map in regards to the NACS standard. With this in mind I pose a question to the larger audience here regarding how superchargers should be labeled.

The question boils down to: Is NACS the physical connector, or is NACS a connection standard that all EV’s can use? I say this as V2 sites on Supercharge.info are still labeled as NACS, even though V2 sites will never allow non-Tesla’s to use them. Since it’s not compatible with other EV’s, do V2 sites really comply with the North American Charging Standard? Or are they just chargers with a Tesla Connector?

Not sure what’s right or wrong here, but NACS naming does imply that it will charge any vehicle, when for V2 superchargers that is not the case.

Yes they is plenty of confusion about what NACS means in connector vs standards. We are planning the address this confusion on the site in the next update.

4 Likes

Isn’t there a double option at the moment? Since for plugs you can select “NACS” and for Open to “NACS” as well. Would suggest to rename “Tesla” plug to “Tesla/NACS”. It is the same plug.

Or is under plugs NACS meant Magic dock for CCS2? This one is missing under plugs. That would be a better name then. Further explanation would be nice.

Tesla NACS CCS1 CCS2 Type2 GB/T

Red icons represent Tesla-only plugs.
Blue icons represent standards generally open to non-Tesla EVs.
Black icons represent standards that might be open to non-Tesla EVs. (Look for the “Other EVs OK” marker or use the “Open To” filter.)

Other icons on the Changes and Data pages

• Other EVs OK : Site allows non-Tesla vehicles to charge - for example, locations with Magic Dock, NACS open to non-Tesla, and certain CCS locations in Europe.

Yeah, we’ve gone back and forth on this question a number of times already. :grimacing: The short answer is it’s complicated, anything we do has some amount of imprecision, and each iteration brings with it a fresh set of valid criticism. You’re right that “open to NACS” overlaps with choosing the “NACS” plug type currently. We’ve considered re-combining the “Tesla” and “NACS” plug types, but haven’t yet settled on something that’s intuitive to both editors and end-users. And it’s complicated further by the fact that not every V3/V4 stall is currently open to NACS partners.

Or is under plugs NACS meant Magic dock for CCS2? This one is missing under plugs. That would be a better name then. Further explanation would be nice.

Not sure what you mean by this – is there a MagicDock for CCS2 anywhere? I wasn’t aware of that; I thought MagicDock was only CCS1.

1 Like

Ok, understand the team’s struggle. Hope you all find a good solution that it is more clear to everyone.

On Magic dock CCS1 (you’re right), what I mean is, at the moment you cannot select the locations with Magic dock.

Got it. If you want to find all MagicDock locations, the easiest way is to either select “CCS1” in the Plug Type filter (as far as I know Tesla’s only CCS1 locations are those with MagicDock), or type “magic” into the search box.

1 Like