Color codes on map

Doesn’t green universally mean go or on? Doesn’t red mean stop or out of order?

I would propose that working superchargers are green.
I would propose that non working superchargers (temp) are red.
Then use blue for permit and yellow or the construction cone for under construction.

Perhaps I’m missing something, but the colors seem somewhat illogical to me.

3 Likes

Came here to do exactly the same recommendation.
Thanks for writing that for me :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Good feedback!

There have been some minor changes recently, notably using triangles for both permit and construction (both still the same colour - blue and orange) as well as using symbols with X’s on them for temp closed (in grey) and permanently closed (in black) sites.

The red was probably originally from the Tesla maps themselves, which use red, both in the car and on the Tesla website map. Not sure if there is much benefit to changing given the ‘X’ symbols for closed are pretty clear now?

Thanks for your response. The historical context for the red selection makes sense. I also agree that black with an x is unambiguously inactive or closed. However, I still think red universally means stop or danger. Unless red appears adjacent in the list next to black, the viewer may not realize the distinction. There are very few black icons, so that situation rarely arises. Although I have been a visitor to the site very frequently over several years, I still need to consciously remind myself that red means operational. Maybe I’m only one voice out there but it still strikes me as counter intuitive.

I just figured the reason the markers were historically red was that Tesla’s logo is red, and yes, their maps use red markers. Another possible reason is that green could be harder to see on the map’s base layers, especially in areas nearby national parks/forests that have green backgrounds, or when looking at the satellite view. Then again, the site already uses green for custom markers (so maybe contrast isn’t an issue?), and the Changes page highlights a row in green when the status is Open.

I’ll also say I was somewhat disinclined to change the color scheme when so much else was changing at the same time. It would be interesting, though, to get broader feedback on the colors.